Tasman Geotechnics takes its name from Abel Janzoon Tasman who mapped the coast of Tasmania in 1642 from near the mouth of the Pieman River around to the Freycinet Peninsula.

In so doing he was the first to undertake any geophysical surveys in the Tasmania region having discovered magnetic discrepancies in compass readings off the west coast of Tasmania near present day Zeehan.

A number of notable features still bear names either given by or in memory of his voyage such as Mts Zeehan and Heemskirk, named after his two ships, Tasman Peninsula, Maatsyker Islands, Pedra Blanca and Cape Fredrick Hendrick.

We at Tasman Geotechnics are proud to carry on the careful and accurate traditions established by Abel Janzoon Tasman.  


Located around the corner from the Invermay Bowls Club in Invermay, drop in and say hello and meet the team!

Tasman Geotechnics operates across all of Tasmania!